And was psyched to find a perfect use for this Clementine crate.... it was just clementine season here for our grocery stores and we went through about 4 of these crates.... they're made of wood and have that pretty little clementine painted on the front- i couldn't bear to throw them out and since they are wood we couldn't recycle them. I usually store my patterns that I make in quart size ziploc bags and then organize them by garment piece (tops, skirts, pants, etc) into those plastic shoe box storage containers- this works out awesome for me....
But with the made to order patterns I stored them in gallon sized bags so I could fit all four sizes into one bag, and the clementine box was the perfect size for the gallon size bags.
I still have some major cleaning and reorganizing to do in my sewing room. It's starting to look like it did shortly after we moved into this apartment just over 2 years ago. It was so bad I did before and after shots which I'll share with you! When we first moved here I realized just how much crafty stuff I had managed to acquire. It was actually pretty embarrassing on the moving day when I had an entire pickup truck bed packed to the max with just my crafting and sewing stuff. Not including the tables or chairs. When I first started sewing I worked out of my closet. All of my fabric and machines fit perfectly in one little corner of my closet, and when I wanted to sew I would pull out my machine, set it up on a tv table and then tuck it away when I was finished. Then I upgraded to a full room when pat and I moved in together the first time. I was primarily sewing stuff for myself then so I still only had my sewing machine and a small stash of fabric (maybe a tote bin full if that). Then I decided to go back to college and get a degree, so i moved back in with my parents to make things easier for myself to accomplish that goal. There I had an entire corner of their basement for my crafting/sewing area. It was during that time that I started making clothing to sew, accumulated a massive fabric stash, got my serger, and started working with body herbals. So when I moved from my parent's house back in with pat to this apartment just over two years ago, my crafting stash had morphed from a sewing machine and a small tote of fabric into 3 machines, several extra large totes of fabric, a dresser full of fabric, several totes of body herbal supplies, and a few totes and several boxes of miscellaneous crafting supplies..... along with a table and a couple of chairs. And here's the mess it was 2 years ago.....
After a couple of months of trying to work in that disaster area, I finally took a full weekend and I managed to declutter and reorganize quite a bit. Turned my sewing station a different way which made more sense, went through all those boxes and bags and bins that were scattered all over the floor and tucked in every corner and stacked against ever inch of wall space. Most were supplies that I just hadn't managed to unpack- i cringe just looking at these photos- look at all those freakin boxes stacked up under that table! Anyways, this is what my sewing room looked like after that weekend (and currently does now.... errrr.... kind of..... it definitely needs another purge and reorganize, those damn boxes are starting to take over again!)
The one corner where I have all my tote bins stacked still is pretty cramped but alteast it's much better organized. By adding the table I was able to make a space underneath to slide several bins- before it was just bin stacked on top of bin, in order to get to the bottom bin i had to remove the several on top. Now i'm able to get into every bin without having to unstack anything. And look, there's room under the table to put my legs! I left one bin under there for my scrap fabrics, this way as I cut and sew I can just toss them into the bin.
As I look around the room right now, I'm happy with the setup but am ready to do another purge and reorganize. Actually this entire apartment and our enclosed back porch is in need of one. I found out a few days ago that we are going to have to wait about 6 more months to get the mortgage. While I'm bummed that we won't be moving before this baby comes, I am so thankful I was referred to this new mortgage lady, she's been so helpful in guiding us and giving us the info we need. The other lady failed to tell us so many important things about the mortgage- I had contacted her 6 months ago to find out what we need to do to get ready for getting a mortgage. If she had taken the time of day to actually work with us (like the present lady has done) we probably wouldn't be in this situation. Turns out Pat's bad credit wasn't the reason for not being able to do the state loan (like the first lady told us)- it's b/c he currently doesn't have any open credit accounts, and with the state loan program one of their only credit requirements is that each applicant has atleast 3 open accounts. If the first lady had told us this 6 months ago when I first approached her, we could have made that happen by now. *sigh* But I'm looking at the positives right now- we have an awesome mortgage lady now who has us on the right track and is keeping us well informed, it will be summer when the baby arrives so even though i'll be dealing with 3 flights of stairs there won't be 3 inches of ice on them like there is now, i've been reassured by friends and family that the first months the baby requires very little space, and now we won't have to worry about breaking our lease. Not to mention we have several more months to stockpile more money.
So on that note, it's purge and organize and rearrange time in this little apartment of ours!